Here we have our Iron Man ball, birth blanket and carpet shield sheeting. The birth blanket is made out of a futon cover, a couple of blankets and a waterproof layer, and stitched together with yarn. This blanket will be placed beneath me when the baby is born and will be wrapped up and thrown away afterward.
This is the home birth kit that I purchased from Vivante. It has plastic-backed bed sheeting, maternity sanitary napkins, sterile gloves, a peri bottle, sanitary cold packs, flexible straws, mesh pants, lube jelly, alcohol prep pads, and a pink and blue striped baby hat.
Inside here is the birth pool in a box that will be opened and assembled when I go into labor. This will make for a comfy pool to be in during labor -- better than a bathtub in that the water level can rise above the stomach. A water birth is also an option with this pool, but I think I'll just use it during labor and then get out of the water to push.
These are things that I have gathered for labor, including a heating pad/cold compress, Kellogg's Special K Protein Water mix, essential oils for aroma therapy, ginger capsules, ipecacuanha (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipecacuanha) and tabacum (http://abchomeopathy.com/r.php/Tab) at the midwives' request -- for nausea since my baby is on the left side and contractions will likely cause me to feel nauseous, flashlights, massage oils, and a wooden heart for squeezing.
This is the changing table that we were given by an attorney in Chris's office with all of Nealon's things all ready. On the bottom, the pink bag is the midwives' bag of supplies which includes oxygen tubes, IV supplies, gloves, sterile instruments, and lots of things that I prefer not to look at...
This is a bassinet that we are borrowing from an awesome faculty member at the law school, who also gave us a car seat and the stroller and baby seat pictured below. We are planning to keep the baby in the bed with us, but the bassinet will be nice to have around I'm sure.
He has his own little rain forest seat...
And his own wheels, too.
So, we are all "ready" and just trying to enjoy these last few days that we have together before Baby Ling is here. We've been doing a lot of cooking and relaxing and loving and walking and watching The Office on Netflix.
Chris's last day of work was this past Friday -- so I have him home with me during the day, which is really nice. And his last day of class is this Thursday, so after the 31st we will have no other obligations other than bonding with the new baby -- which is a great blessing. While we didn't plan the pregnancy, we are lucky to have this window of time with nothing else that we have to do. Chris has been working really hard all summer in order to make this downtime possible and I am really happy for all that he has done to ensure that we both have only part-time schedules this year with him still graduating on time. He's a good man and this is going to be one beautiful baby. Baby photos COMING SOON!!
1 comment:
I would have to say....beyond on the preparations.....and how fantastic that you and Chris have some time together before Nealon is born....who can believe all the things you have for the birth event and all the things that were given to you....Nealon will sleep in the bed with you and Chris....that sure is a change in what the traditional wisdom used to be....I'd like to know more about that....it used to be said that was dangerous because of a parent rolling over on the baby...but it must be the latest thing or you wouldn't be planning it....things have changed and you are just going to be a AWESOME MOTHER and DAD.....can hardly wait to hear about the birth and see photos...I know your Mom and Sarah Marie and your family are just so excited...thanks for sharing all this with all of this....blessings....
Post a Comment