Saturday, February 14, 2009

Dealin' with Nealon

Nealon is really starting to come into his own personality. He knows what he wants and he had figured out how to scream -- when he is not getting sufficient attention, when he is waiting in his high chair to be fed, when you take something away from him (like his sippy cup that he keeps dropping on the floor, etc.) I am starting to feel like I need to read up on parenting here...

We also need to transition him into his crib because he is starting to take up the whole bed and is interfering with our sleep to the nth degree. Our pediatrician told us we just need to put him in his crib to sleep when he is tired and let him cry it out -- for two minutes, then four, then six, then eight, then ten, and not too much more than ten ... But that eventually he'll figure it out. However, the idea of experiencing this has kept us from attempting it so far. We also live in an apartment complex, and so the idea of letting him cry for 10 minutes would probably not be the greatest for the neighbors.

The problem is that I don't want to get anyone to watch him until we have made the transition because I couldn't imagine asking anyone else to go through what we are currently going through to get him to fall asleep, which is carrying him, rocking him, or holding him in the Moby wrap for a good long while - with milk - until he finally falls out.

Sooooo, having no family around and not feeling comfortable leaving him with others is starting to wear on us. Along with all the cute new developments comes new challenges to our patience and stamina.

We are hoping to have the opportunity to enjoy dinner together this evening for Valentines ... Chris is going to cook something delicious. I was going to make cake, but am considering foregoing the dessert in order to try to cut some calories ... I am now back to 2 lbs. from where I started pre-pregnancy but am trying to lose another 15 lbs. to get back to the weight I was at when I started law school and began a sedentary existence. May Day is Weigh Day and I am on my way to getting back in shape.

5 comments:

Sarah Marie said...

You are unquestionably one of the strongest, most tenacious woman I've ever known! I know you can do it (ALL of it)! Just focus on the goals and don't let up! You will learn quickly how to deal with the babe...you have already taught yourself so much-I am constantly amazed and impressed by your motherly instincts! I wish you and Chris the Happiest Valentine's Day! Chris will undoubtedly prepare a divine feast-you lucky woman! Save your calories today for the indulgence tonight--It will be worth it;)

Sarah Marie said...

I should have reread my comment-sorry about the weird first sentence--you know what I mean! :)

Tea Pot with Natasha said...

What if you transitioned for the transition? Like rock Nealon until he falls asleep and then put him in his crib for the night? Would that work?

Frances Rae said...

Yes, that would work, but the whole point is to get him to learn to go to sleep on his own so that we don't have to spend the time rocking him to asleep as this can take a long time sometimes. Today we put Nealon in his crib to put himself to sleep for his afternoon nap and used the recommended method. He was asleep after the 10-min. interval. So, he cried for 2 min. and we went in, then for 4, 6, 8, 10. So that's 30 min. total. It was rough, but we hope that he will learn to like to go to sleep. I'll keep you posted.

Anonymous said...

it will be easier when he is crawling and then walking....you can make it a point to wear him out with play time or walk....it would be nice to be close by so we could help you out with big boy....we would love that...I wonder if the midwives know of any certified babysitter retired person you could come to know....someone who could give you some time off...is there a an organization...like our local one Mom's Place, where you could network and probably find a close by great stay -at -home Mother who could take Nealon a couple of half days a week....probably you could find one through the midwives or information from a local hospital that has a Family Birthing Place....there are lots of resources but it does take time to check it out....and yes...take a parenting class....it will help....one here is run through our Women's Resources Center....your trusted midwives probably can help hook you up with resources....sending love and warm air and stamina your way.....